I've just updated my code to rely on the stable version of lift 0.10
rather than an earlier snapshot.
Unfortunately the removal of LiftRules.logAndReturnExceptionToBrowser
and non working status of
LiftRules.exceptionHandler.prepend means my choices now are

1) To back out my reliance on the stable version of lift 0.10
2) To look at the source code for lift and try to figure out the problem
3) To remove my applications reliance on this code

I am going to be glad when Lift gets to version 1.0, because
presumably there will be less breaking changes (I hope)