Marc Boschma wrote:
>> When I use ç instead, the problem is that it is *not* converted
>> to ç as it goes into the database, and then on the way out the XML
>> interpreter does not recognize it as a character entity reference
>> and so
>> converts the & to &.
>
> I think this is due to using the standard Scala XML load functions
> rather than the lift XML parser. From memory I don't think the
> standard parser recognises that many named entities. ie. does ç
> work instead of ç ? If so then that is probably what is
> happening on this issue.

ç goes into the database unchanged, but comes back out as
&#x00E7. For that matter, & in the DB comes out as & on
the page.

This is actually fine with me. It means that my users can just type &,
<, > etc. and they will appear on the page that way (rather than being
intepreted as HTML tags). It's safer, too. There is no way for them to
insert HTML, especially script tags.

So really, the only problem I have is that I need to be able to type a ç
and have it still a ç when it gets to the database.

Chas.