It depends upon what is meant by "plain". According to RFC 2045 (5.2)
the default character encoding for a non-MIME message is us-ascii and
the transfer encoding would be 7bit.

Given that I think we are speaking of MIME encoded messages I think
that the default of UTF-8 is ok in a lift context, but that you should
provide the case class as not all email clients understand UTF-8 and
if building a message that has the widest support is desired then it
should be easy to specify alternatives that can be interpreted.

What is the treatment of character encoding in the interface? ie. can
I specify base64 or quoted-printable, etc?

Marc