Well. I think it depends. I know that if you use the hibernate provider that
you can set a property to automatically create/update the schema when it
runs. You can look at the JPA Demo site in the Lift repo:

http://github.com/dpp/liftweb/blob/794cac5abf6b1ae5502f6321847f6186fcd8de90/sites/JPADemo/JPADemo-spa/src/main/resources/META-INF/persistence.xml

The relevant property is "hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto"

I haven't used TopLink but it appears to have a subset of this
functionality:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/toplink/JPA/essentials/toplink-jpa-extensions.html#Java2DBSchemaGen

The caveat is that with Hibernate it can alter existing tables to match
changes in your entities, but toplink appears to do a drop-then-add, which
kind of sucks. I haven't looked at JPOX or any other JPA impls.

Derek