> I agree that this is a nasty behavior. One could say that it's the
> user's responsibility to keep track of their session time, but I don't
> subscribe to that. I try to make my sites as user friendly as possible.

Try telling anyone in marketing, user experience, or anyone not in
tech that it's user's fault they didn't keep track of their
session..... ick.

If 100ms load time can affect stickiness (as studies have revealed)
imagine what returning an error or no results from a search just
because the user didn't search in time.

I for one know I dumped several travel sites because of their poor
behavior in this regard.

> Another scenario is that the session doesn't expire, and the user walks
> away from the terminal without closing the browser.

You still expire the session and force the user to login.  You just
avoid losing their work.

> There is no reason you can't temporarily store form data -- if I can
> store a GET, you can store a POST -- and then if the user chooses to log
> back in, redirect and repopulate the form ... Why more sites don't do this is
> beyond me. It's not a difficult
> programming task.

As far as I can tell, this is not possible with lift.  The association
of the POST data with any particular object or field is gone once the
session expires so the submitted values are useless.

> Another option is to store form data as it's entered. I have a survey
> site that does this right now (albeit with some bugginess). Put it in a
> temporary table. Then when the user logs back in, give him the option to
> return to the form and complete it, or delete the partial form data, or
> leave it for later.

Auto-save or manually saving to a database is fine, but I don't think
it address the issue.