Please don't shoot me for bringing this up again.  I still don't think
the current behavior of Menu.item makes sense.  If the user doesn't
want that link to appear on the page, then they shouldn't include
<lift:Menu.item name="foo1" /> in its source.  Most people put text
around their link:

<lift:Menu.item name="foo1" /> | <lift:Menu.item name="foo2" /> |
<lift:Menu.item name="foo3" />

which, on foo2, would render as
_foo1_ |  | _foo3_

or

For a good time <lift:Menu.item name="foo1">click here</
llift:Menu.item>.  For a not so good time <lift:Menu.item
name="foo2">click here</llift:Menu.item>.

which, on foo2, would render as
For a good time _click here_.   For a not so good time .

Regards,
Bradford