>> > I am firmly against anything that re-writes byte-code after the
>> compilation
>> > phase for production code.  Once the Scala-Maven plugin supports
>> compiler
>> > plugins, then there's a lot of stuff that can be done at compile-time.

The scala-maven plugin already supports compiler plugins.   Feel free to
make use of it as I do.

 (yes this is unrelated).

BTW - Most cases where aspects would have been useful in Java, I'd rather
see some kind of DSL.

E.g. Transactions  -

def doSomeWork() {
   transactional {
        //My Trasnactional code
   }
   //Wow, I can even do stuff outside the transaction!!!! look at me go
}

The one use of annotations I see as being handy is how it's used in the
Eclipse plugin (i.e. fix a flaw the JDT Community is unwilling to fix).