I'm not sure about how much overhead Jetty adds to the mix (I'd assume it
would be small, but I could be wrong), but on my production server, a small
Lift app added only 30 - 40 mb or so to the memory usage of my Tomcat
instance. Based on my experience with running Java and Groovy based
applications on a VPS, a 256 mb slice should be plenty unless you have lots
of concurrent sessions and/or big sessions. If people are having a different
experience with Lift-based apps, I'd be interested in hearing that (and
why).

Peter, Have you tried running jmap on your box to generate a heap dump and
then analyzing that to see what is using up all the memory? Using something
like MAT (www.eclipse.org/mat/) makes it pretty easy to see what the likely
culprits are, and then you can go from there.

- Spencer