Nile,

Scala imports are relative unless the path of the import is prefixed by
"_root_".  This behavior is the subject of fierce discussion on the Scala
list.  What does relative mean?  It's like this:

import net.liftweb._
import http._ // imports net.liftweb.http._

The problem is that if you have a JAR with some net.java.blah package in it,
the Scala compiler will look to resolve java.concurrent._ as
net.java.concurrent._

We've generally tried to be explicit about using _root_ for all our imports,
etc., but some lazy good for nothing Lift committers (I'm thinking about
me), don't always follow the rule... and this has led to the pain you are
experiencing.

So, I don't know how Maven uses your environment variables, but that's the
thing that's poking at the issue.

I did some work to make the import paths in Lift absolute.  I'll spend time
today finishing the cleanup.

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp