A very quick workflow about web dev in the java world :
1. developer create/work on a webapp
2. developer package the webapp into a archive my-webapp.war (who include
lift in your case) ('mvn package'), developer give the .war to deployer team
+ some configuration instruction (eg : how to configure RDBMS
connections,...)
3. deployer install the .war into his webapp/servlet container (eg. jetty is
a webapp container where to deploy you put the .war into the webapps dir of
jetty (rename it with the context name required or ROOT.war), restart jetty,
connect to ...). deployer could use script to ease repetitive task if he
wish (eg: capistrano or fabric, python, shell script,...)
4. goto 1

Choosing and configuring the webapp container is a matter of choice.

maven is a build tools, so you should not use it in environment except dev
(see http://wiki.github.com/dpp/liftweb/about-maven-mini-guide as an intro
and links at the end for details). The command "mvn scala:run ..." is for
dev only to run an object with main method.

Server
* don't need maven.
* require : jdk, webapp container (eg winstone, jetty, tomcat, glassfish,
jboss,...)
* optionnal: an other http front-end (lighttpd, nignx, apache,...), a
service controler/wrapper (java wrapper service, yajws, ...), ...

/davidB