My guess is that while -fn tells maven never to fail, it doesn't tell
it at what point in the lifecycle to finish.  It's likely that the
test goal failed, maven stopped (before executing the install goal)
and reported a successful build.  In the second case you're removing
the test goal from the maven lifecycle, so maven gets to the install
goal.