Lift is not strictly MVC. Snippets are a very powerful feature but they are
also very flexible. How you design your application is up to you.
Lift also supports many response types. Are you asking for a JSON version of
the snippet system? What exactly would you like to see and don't?

-------------------------------------
Yuan<yuan.w0...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am new to Lift. I like it lot. I have great respects to the members
of this open source project, specifically the committers. I want to
contribute some effort to this warm community.

Here I want to share my two concerns about Lift; (I know most of
people in this group have way better web development experience than
me.  My concerns may not valid.) .  BTW please bear with my writing.

Lift follows a MVC pattern, or Model-View-Template. The model is
either Mapper or Record.  This model, as in other web frameworks, let
programmer to write domain objects and the business logics associate
with these domain objects.  However, one of the great advantages of
Scala is “traits and composition”, we can create “dump” domain
objects, which most likely won’t have a lots change during the
development, and then inject the business logics, which most likely
will going to be changed, to these domain objects. Domain objects
needs to be stored in Relational database, key-value like storage, or
XML.  But those business logics, those functions usually do not need
to be stored.

So, my concern is: do we need another layer between model (domain
object) and controller (handle request)?  A layer can inject the right
business logic depend on the context of request, and handle the new
object, with domain object and business logic, back to the controller
layer. Because of Scala, everything has a strong type. (There is a
great article about this idea http://www.artima.com/articles/dci_visionP.html
) I know we can achieve this injecting idea with current architecture.
But adding a new layer can standardize and facilitate this approach.
As I said, I don’t so much web development experience. In real world,
there may be no need for this additional layer.

My second concern is Lift’s snippets are close couple with XHTML
NodeSeq, so it makes using  “non-html” presentation techniques, such
as Flex/ JavaFX/ Silver-Light/ GWT, with snippets very tricky. I guess
current solution is building a RESTful Lift server + those RIA tech
via XML or JSON. I personal like this approach lot, I think it is
loosely coupled and easily to change. My concern is will Lift keep on
this track in nearly future? Or Lift is considering add closer support
to those RIA tech.

I hope this post can generate some useful conversations about Lift.