If you are modifying web.xml, doing it via <env-entry/> and having it
available via JNDI (java:comp/env) [1] seems closest.
However, I am not sure that would be available via System.getProperty
().

Alternately, try jetty.xml (or jetty-env.xml, if possible) [2][3] to
do something like:
<Call class="java.lang.System" name="setProperty">
  <Arg>run.mode</Arg>
  <Arg>production</Arg>
</Call>

[1]: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/JNDI#JNDI-enventry