Thanks for the replies.

I created a trait that overrides writePermission_? called ReadOnly
that I mix into each field and I overrided ( overrid? whats the past
tense of override? huh.. ) the db_can_delete method in the object to
always return false. I am not sure if this will be a good solution but
if it works I will write a blog post about it.

Thanks again for the quick responses!
-Andy