Hello,

I bought the Scala book in PDF format (Odersky/Spoon/Venners) and
pretty much jumped around it (benefit of PDF is the hyperlinks) for
about a week. I am probably proficient with everything in chapters
1-18 which is still pretty much beginner/novice level, but I need the
web/book before I tackle most other concepts.

But I just wanted to get my hands dirty with a couple of apps and
dived straight in. You learn by doing. You learn by reading someone
else's code, which is what I've been doing a lot with the Lift sources
(I have a local Git clone, and set it up in Eclipse).

So, in a nutshell: learn the Scala basics, and get your hands dirty.
Open a console and faff about, then start writing apps! :-)

What I've done so far can be found here:
http://github.com/opyate/Ken
http://github.com/opyate/yauser

Happy coding!
Juan