i got it running!

i followed your suggestion and did some change - put every thing in one line
and copy this ONE line to c:\

mvn archetype:generate -U -DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb
-DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-basic -DarchetypeVersion=1.0
-DremoteRepositories=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases-DgroupId=com.liftworkshop
-DartifactId=todo -Dversion=0.1-SNAPSHOT

thank you so much for supporting me to make the first step!!!!

john