That gets me one step closer, thanks, but then I still have problem.
The next mvn install that I do gives me the following:

1 required artifact is missing.
for artifact:
  com.foo.jpaweb:spa:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT

Another post had the same problem, said to do mvn install.  I tried
doing mvn install in the spa directory as well, gives me the same
error.  So I'm missing the artifcact that I'm trying to build? This
doesn't make any sense. Ideas?