> Scala is not like, for example, BASIC, where you can look up FOR, IF/
> THEN/ELSE. there's lots of individual and compound punctuation marks
> that are very difficult to search for online and in PDFs (try
> searching for "!").

This is where I am coming from, coding after a 16 or so year hiatus
and my main language was basic so I guess I am one of the rare ones
here who doesn't have the OOP/Java hang-ups, I just have a whole
different set of hang-ups to deal with. I have been looking at Scala
for some months and have to admit it is starting to sink in, of course
having to learn everything else in order to learn it is making it take
a bit longer.