I am having some issues deploying my Lift web application to a tomcat
server.
When I run tomcat through maven (mvn tomcat:run), the web application
works properly and connects to my postgres database.  However, when I
use mvn package to create a war file which I then deploy to a local
tomcat server (on my computer) only the HTML of the web application
appears and the snippets with the application's content fail.  It
appears to be a problem with the sitemap loading properly, because I
changed the sitemap by deleting one of many Loc.If parameters and the
web application then worked as expected.  However, when I then tried
to deploy the same .war file to a tomcat server on a different
computer, the web app failed again, showing only the HTML and not the
snippets.  I suspect that perhaps this is because I need to change my
url to the postgres database, but I've tried many permutations of the
url and none seem to work.
To make things worse, the logging doesn't seem to be working properly
making it difficult to diagnose the exact problem.  I can't locate a
stdout.log file anywhere.  In my catalina.out file I get the following
error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at scala.runtime.BoxesRunTime.boxToInteger(Unknown Source)
        at scala.actors.Actor$$anonfun$scala$actors$Actor$$seq$1.apply
(Actor.scala:800)
        at scala.actors.Actor$$anonfun$scala$actors$Actor$$seq$1.apply
(Actor.scala:794)
        at scala.actors.Reaction.run(Reaction.scala:82)
        at net.liftweb.http.ActorSchedulerFixer$$anon$1$$anon$3.run
(LiftServlet.scala:673)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask
(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run
(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I also get an error that says:

Do I need to configure log4j in order to get the stdout.log file?

Any ideas of what might be going on here?

Thanks,
David