Jim,

Let's stop this discussion (I won't convince you and you wont't convince me)
and start doing something more valuable: Are you in town for a couple of
beers?

Heiko

2009/11/18 Jim Barrows <jim.barr...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Heiko Seeberger <
> heiko.seeber...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> 2009/11/17 Jim Barrows <jim.barr...@gmail.com>
>>

>>> The behavior of a method, it's implementation is part of the contract I
>>> have with the library.
>>>

>> Behavior yes, as long as agreed part of the contract. Implementation no.
>>

> Implementation is not behavior?
>

>>> So, just because you, or some committee ...
>>>

>> Not a committe, but the developer of the library.
>>

> I don't care who.  Somebody, who isn't me, is deciding whether the impact
> to me is is minor (ie 0.0.1), major (ie 0.1.0), or catastrophic (ie 1.0.0).
>

>>> ... think that the change is "minor", I still have to thoroughly test
>>> everything that uses your library.
>>>

>> Did you hear me saying "Don't test your app when a required library
>> changes its version"?
>>

> Yes, actually your attempting to use a scheme to tell me what I need to
> test.  If you agree that with every change, I need to test those changes,
> then why complicate everybody's lives with number schemes?  Because whether
> a someone uses the OSGI complex scheme of numbers, or Ubuntus year.month
> scheme, it still means I have to read the change list, and test the things
> that changed.
>

>>> As to your "As Lift also is to support OSGi (already some support in
>>> place) it would be beneficial to stick to this version policy" comment.  I
>>> counter with "Lift works on Ubuntu it would be beneficial to stick to this
>>> version policy" and of course "Lift runs on scala  it would be beneficial to
>>> stick to this version policy", or better yet "Lift runs  on the Java VM it
>>> would be beneficial to stick to this version policy."  All three of my
>>> arguments have far more to do with Lift running then OSGI does.
>>>

>> If you are not interested in OSGi or Lift's OSGi support, then just ignore
>> it. As far as I know neither Ubuntu, nor Scala, nor the JVM care about
>> Lift's version number or version strategy. But OSGi does!
>>

> You miss my point.  My point was that the argument you make is useless.
>

>>> That's what I really need to know,
>>>

>> Please accept that other folks might have different needs.
>>

> You cut the context.  However.... Everyone needs to know that things
> changed.  And they need to know what changed.  The OSGI scheme attempts to
> tell the developer how severe the change is, without knowing how the
> developer is using the library.  That's useless.
> --
> James A Barrows
>
>  --

Heiko Seeberger

My job: weiglewilczek.com
My blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net