Ok I may be missing something essential from all this thread but why
not use a folder from the user's home directory? If your app runs say
under "jetty" OS user should heve read/write rights to write on the
home user file-system. Even if not (although I haven't encountered the
case) those rights can be granted by an admin. So why do you need
"special" container allocated locations to write files?

Br's,
Marius