On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Alex Black <a...@alexblack.ca> wrote:

> > Are you using any Comet or Ajax or any Lift generated form elements?  If
> you
> > are using any of these (anything where Lift is storing a function on the
> > server-side and presenting the function as a GUID on the client side),
> then
> > it is strongly advised that you enable GC.

To disable Garbage Collection:

LiftRules.enableLiftGC = false

Each GUID that's shipped to the client for form callbacks, Comet callbacks,
Ajax callbacks, JSON callbacks, etc. is associated with a function.  That
function is stored in a session-specific table that maps from GUIDs to
functions.  Without garbage collection, the functions associated with the
GUIDs build up for the duration of a given session.  The can be memory
intensive.  So, we've implemented a mechanism where every 75 seconds (a
tunable parameter), the browser does an Ajax call to the server saying "page
XXXX" is still live.  All GUIDs associated with that page are "kept
around."  If a GUID hasn't been seen on a page in 10 minutes and is not
associated with a Comet component that's still live, then the function is
removed from the GUID mapping table and will ultimately be removed from
memory by the JVM garbage collector.

> We're not using Comet or Lift generated form elements.  We are using a
> jQuery plugin to do autocomplete which uses ajax. Can you tell me a
> bit more about GC, is it a jQuery thing?
>
> I've turned off auto ajax also:
>
>  // For now, disable all Lift ajax stuff
>    LiftRules.autoIncludeAjax = session => false
>
> So, I get this error on every page:
>
> Error: lift_successRegisterGC is not defined
>
> and this error on pages that don't use jQuery:
>
> Error: jQuery is not defined
>

> > > Thanks!
> >
> > > - Alex
> >
> > > --