ah I see the problem - I know nothing about git!

I original thought that the URL at the top of the github page for port_280
would get me port_280 which it doesn't.

I tried following the instructions here:
http://wiki.github.com/bricoleurs/bricolage/working-with-branches
But that isn't working for me:

% git clone git://github.com/dpp/liftweb.git
% cd liftweb/
% git fetch origin
% git checkout --track -b port_280 origin/port_280
fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches.
Did you intend to checkout 'origin/port_280' which can not be resolved as
commit?

What should I do? (I've trawled gits help pages but I'm not having any luck)

Channing