On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Josh Suereth <joshua.suer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think staying in maven would require the least amount of typing, but the
> most amount of time as you'd have to publish local snapshots of Scala 2.8.0
> to use them in the lift build.  I remember how annoying this is ;).   Also
> note that deploying maven requires a full scala build, but if needed I can
> make a short-cut that will just publish the "quick" libraries.  This would
> help immensely in testing trunk against projects, but is not very helpful
> otherwise.  Would this be desirable?
>
> What was already suggested (runing mvn dependency:copy-dependencies) is very
> viable.   However, if lift-mapper relies on lift-util, you'll have to
> rebuild one before you rebuild the other if you're somehow changing the ABI.
>
> If you still wanted to use maven, I recommend using the reactor plugin.   If
> you identify the project that is failing you can run:
>
> mvn reactor:make -Dmake.artifacts=net.liftweb:lift-mapper
>
> Where "net.liftweb:lift-mapper" is the groupId:artifactId containing the
> failing module.  This will only build the lift-mapper module and other
> modules on which lift-mapper depends (i.e. if lift-mapper needs lift-util
> (and only lift-util) just those two will be built.
>
> I have a local VM where I was setting up a scala nightly build that would
> feed maven.  Perhaps when I finish I'll make a write-up on how to do this,
> or have some kind of template/script you can use to do it by hand.
>
> - Josh

Hi Josh,

The problem is not so much building individual maven modules, but
building them with experimental compilers. I need to be able to put a
println into scalac, rebuild that (takes 10sec with fsc) and then
recompile the offending maven part with that compiler. That's why I
need a version of lift that can be compiled without maven. It need not
be perfect, for instance one can probably throw out all the tests. But
I need to be able to use lift as a rapid experimentation tool for the
scala compiler itself.

Unfortunately, LAMP is pretty much shutting down for the holidays
right now. So any outside help that you can give is appreciated.
Ideally: I get the right lift version as a tarball, together with all
jars that it needs. Then, instructions what to compile in what order
(I can probably figure them out in a pinch, but if someone knows that
already, it would help).

Thanks

 -- Martin