Where do you have the scala library jars? If you haven't taken pains to ensure
that you have two entirely separate scala JARs (2.7.3 and 2.8) in two separate
classloaders I could believe that you'll get all kinds of problems like this.
You might be better served using two separate tomcat instances and some kind of
reverse proxy like nginx to ensure they remain entirely separated.

-Ross