Note: I just realized this was gonig to the list, and individual emails as
well.  edited the to and cc fields.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm confused by your reply.
> Firstly, I think I was clear that I'm not going to do anything that you or
> David disapprove of. So if my idea is not a good one just scratch it!
> In any case I'm confused by what you said. What is "hidden" about a Google
> Docs document? Whoever wants to participate in the discussion can write in
> the document.

The first problem is that anyone who might wish to comment hase to know
about it.  How often people either not check, not check thoroughly enough
the existing mailing list as it is?    So now you want them to read the
mailing list or the wiki to find out about a discussion happening someplace
else?  That's going to complicate matters a whole lot.

The second problem is that you won't be able to get away from the
implication that things are being done behind the communities back.   Pretty
much no matter what you do.  Again the problem is human beings.  Everybody
is not going to search, and some people are going to feel like that without
a personal invitation to "join the elite working way over here", they have
no opportunity to participate.

The spreadsheet I created is just a data tracker.  I fully expect, and
encourage the discussions to happen on the lists.  The limited number of
people who can write to it is to prevent discussions happening away from the
list, not to limit the discussion itself.  That's why it has columns to put
links to discussion on it.

And if three people, or ten, discuss it there and then run it by everyone on
> the list, those people will certainly not ignore what others on the list
> have to say.
> Was I unclear in the previous message? Or is my ignorance of Google Docs at
> play? Or did I misunderstand something?

There's a huge difference between people working together, coming to the
list and going what's the best way to solve 'X', or we think 'Y' would
better the 'X' because of blah blah, and people working together and coming
to the list and going "Change this!".    There's an even bigger difference
when the latter are some sort of "Refactor and Reorganize Lift Committee".

Thanks.

--
James A Barrows