If you press delete then back what will happen?

-------------------------------------
Alex Boisvert<alex.boisv...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I haven't really used Ajax much but it seems to me there are two kinds of
> changes.
> 1. Modifying the view, e.g., clicking an emal in Gmail, or Expand All. One
> can make an analogy to a GET request, in that there's no permanent change.
> 2. Taking actions, e.g., invoking an action on the server, or deleting the
> viewed email in Gmail. The analogy would be to a POST.
> It seems to me that Lift's Ajax is often used for #2. However backbutton
> support doesn't really make sense in that scenario.

I think the split between 1/2 depends greatly on your application.  I'd say
the backbutton is as useful for POST as it is for GET.   It's a navigation
tool and sometimes the best way to get where you want is to go back two
steps and forward in another direction.   Mind you, it's still more
complicated to handle actions (POST) is a safe manner.  The back button
doesn't undo and if you go forward the same way, you may trigger a duplicate
action.   It's up to the application to handle such cases.

I think this is applicable to the wizard stuff too.   I think back button
support would be a very nice usability enhancement there.

alex