Straight from the headers:

It's a regular form with four text fields. Simple.

Wireshark shows that the packets are arriving at the server with the
parameters intact in the header. Adding a valve to the server.xml file
allowed me to determine that they were present in Tomcat on a POST
request, but missing from the PUT.

Proxy is through Apache 2. I can see no reason that Apache would strip
parts of the header from a PUT, so my presumption is that Tomcat is
discarding them. I've got a discussion going on the Tomcat users list, but
I'm 90% sure it's not Lift. Does the Lift filter engage before a valve?

Chas.