I'm wondering if other people have encountered this issue, or if we're
doing something wrong, or if there is a nice solution to this.

Whenever we update our site, with new code and CSS and JS, any user
who visits it gets OLD css and js files (from their browser cache)
unless they force a refresh.

This is a jarring experience, users's see the site with old CSS and
old JS which is effectively broken.

Any thoughts? If it helps, our site is at http://snapsort.com.  We're
using Jetty, behind nginx.

I notice that when the browser requests the CSS files, the server
responds 304 not modified, so I figured if the CSS was modified (when
we update) then the server would not respond 304 not modified :)

- Alex