Hi,
I believe the main branch is still built with scala 2.7.7 (as you
pointed out in your post). However there is a snapshot build for scala
2.8 named 2.0-scala280-SNAPSHOT.

mvn archetype:generate -U \
    -DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb \
    -DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-basic \
    -DarchetypeVersion=2.0-scala280-SNAPSHOT \
    -DarchetypeRepository=http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots \
    -DremoteRepositories=http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots \
    -DgroupId=$1 -DartifactId=$2

Please see the following discussion for more details:
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/768c6798017b5b6b/9961710446c7dd20

Best regards

Trond