On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Tamer Rizk <tsr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Apache as a reverse proxy forwarding traffic to Jetty on port
> 8181. I am under the impression that a slight performance benefit offered by
> Apache would be offset by the bottleneck arising from double request
> handling (resulting in a reduction of throughput in comparison to direct
> requests to Jetty).

Depends on what you serve a lot of.  If it's anything but the page (i.e.
css, js, png, img, etc etc), then you'll see better performance with Apache
in front then jetty by itself.  On the other hand, if you're serving mostly
dynamic pages, then you won't see as much of a performance boost.

However, ultimately, you're going to be better off putting Apache/Nginx in
front.  the performance concerns vs horizontal scaling options doing so are
minor.  A web server in front of the application server model allows you to
easily add application servers to the mix.  Running an application server
alone won't do that.

As with any talk of optimization, you should do it only when you have a
problem.

> Thus, I would like the option to remove Apache down the road. In either
> case I would not want Jetty running as root. At this point its just an
> experiment, so I will try out a production scenario with Jetty server in the
> hopes that the issue with missing org.mortbay.setuid.SetUIDServer is due to
> building with Maven and using the plugin. Please let me know if you have a
> reason to believe otherwise. Thanks to all.

I've never heard of a way to get a command line from the Java VM.  The VM
doesn't really work that way, and so gives you a layer of protection you
don't have with a native app.
http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/javanotes4/c9/s1.html is a nice summary of
why.  While Scala is not Java, it does run in the Java VM, using the compile
Java Byte Code.

> Best,
> Tamer
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Timothy Perrett
> <timo...@getintheloop.eu>wrote:
>
>> I would recommend using Nginx or similar up front and using a reverse
>> proxy setup - it is the most optiomal solution as Nginx can handle a vast
>> number more connections than Jetty so it makes scaling your app easier on a
>> single machine.
>>
>> Cheers, Tim
>>
>> On 17 Feb 2010, at 15:11, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:

>> > Ok, just reread your post and saw you want to run Jetty on port 80.
>> > I've not tried this,I usually run a frontend (such as nginx) in front.
>> > Not sure how the different distros support this ootb.
>> >
>> > The point about Maven still applies though :-)
>> >
>> > /Jeppe
>> >
>> > --
>> http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=en.
>> >

>> --