Le 06/03/2010 06:58, Warren Henning a écrit :
tl;dr

Want a cookie for your efforts?

If you don't like Lift, don't use it. Problem solved. Hooray, turkey
for everyone!

I don't think that this type of email that is really constructive, and I'm little surprised at it, Lift community is usually nice and hears open for newcomers....

Cageface took the time to write a (long) email about what he feels as a newbe on lift, and that's really valuable. Most of us just don't remember what was our first steps and first surprises and wtf? when we discovered Lift, so it's good to have someone to remind them thought it's fresh looking.

Most of his concern are valuable, and I can see that they are centred around one main point: better introduction material/documentation. I know that Lift make an heavy use of this mailing list, but Lift also need some reference manual. I believe that without the inline version of the Lift Book, I would have give up in a matter of days.

This kind of reference material may explain why there is XML in code, and why it's good - I remember that when I first looked at Lift and saw that, I really thought it was madness. Now, not only I see the point, but I love it, because it's so good to use it for dynamic content and ajax stuff, Scala has dynamic literals, etc. But it *was* realy surprising at first.

The import point was also something disturbing when I started, maven is a monster for Javaists who remind only maven 1 / firsts maven 2, and even if now, it's far better than that, it's still a big complex thing that deserve it's own learning effort.

And so on.

And perhaps that all that knowledge is already available online, and in that case, it's just a matter of reorganising the Lift site.

Cheers,

--
Francois Armand
http://fanf42.blogspot.com