I think it's true that most of my proposal can be achieved by writing
such things in human-readable form in the description field. Mostly,
the only thing my proposal does is to put things into a machine-
readable form; this may aid in automated processing and maybe a better
UI experience.

Maybe the least trivial thing is the inclusion of a payer pubkey in the
original invoice; this is the least trivial both in protocol complexity
and in potential benefits. One benefit is that it turns a "proof-that-
someone-paid" into a "proof-that-I-paid"; another benefit is that it
becomes clear who is authorized to issue another invoice that says
"this original invoice is nullified".

Now that I think of it: my proposal has something important that yours
doesn't: the requirement to have *two* signatures (both payer and
payee) on each update. Without that requirement, there is one party who
can nullify the old contract by making a unilaterally signed invoice
and a self-generated payment preimage. Not even a need to do a payment
to self to "fake" a sort of a refund payment or so. This may be OK as
long as there is only one party who has obligations: then the other
party may partially or completely nullify those obligations, optionally
dependent on a payment. Requiring two signatures (and thereby
consensus) on each update is more generic though: it allows for
obligations on both parties.

Even more generic could be to allow more than two parties. I'm sure
there are complex business arrangements that have a need for this, but
I think we can always develop that later. Let's first tackle this
relatively simple case.

CJP