> However personally I do not really see the need to create multiple
channels
> to a single peer, or increase the capacity with a specific peer (via
splice
> or dual-funding).  As Christian says in the other mail, this
consideration,
> is that it becomes less a network and more of some channels to specific
big
> businesses you transact with regularly.

I made no reference to any "big businesses", only the utility that arises
when one has multiple channels to a given peer. Consider an easier example:
given the max channel size, I can only ever send 0.16 or so BTC to that
peer. If I have two channels, then I can send 0.32 and so on. Consider the
case post AMP where we maintain the current limit of the number of in flight
HTLCs. If AMP causes most HTLCs to generally be in flight within the
network, then all of a sudden, this "queue" size (outstanding HTLCS in a
commitment) becomes more scarce (assume a global MTU of say 100k sat for
simplicity). This may then promote nodes to open additional channels to
other nodes (1+) in order to accommodate the increased HTLC bandwidth load
due to the sharded multi-path payments.

Independent on bolstering the bandwidth capabilities of your links to other
nodes, you would still want to maintain a diverse set of channels for fault
tolerance, path diversity, and redundancy reasons.

In the splicing case, if only a single in flight splice is permitted, and me
as users wants to keep all their funds in channels, the more channels I
have, the more concurrent on-chain withdraws/deposits I'll be able to
service.

> I worry about doing away with initiator distinction

Can you re-phrase this sentence? I'm having trouble parsing it, thanks.

> which puzzles me, and I wonder if I am incorrect in my prioritization.

Consider that not all work items are created equal, and they have varying
levels of implementation and network wide synchronization. For example, I
think we all consider multi-hop decor to be a high priority.  However, it
has the longest and hardest road to deployment as it effectively forces us
to perform a "slow motion hard-fork" within the network. On the other hand,
if lnd wanted to deploy a flavor of non-interactive (no invoice) payments
*today*, we could do that without *any* synchronization at the
implementation of network level, as it's purely an end-to-end change.

> I am uncertain what this means in particular, but let me try to restate
> what you are talking about in other terms:

Thought about it a bit more (like way ago) and this is really no different
than having a donation page where people use public derivation to derive
addresses to deposit directly to your channel. All the Lightning node needs
to do, is recognize that any coins send to these derived addresses should be
immediately spliced into an available channel (doesn't have any other
outstanding splices).

> It seems to me naively that the above can be done by the client software
> without any modifications to the Lightning Network BOLT protocol

Sticking with that prior version yes, this would be able to be seamlessly
included in the async splce proposal. The one requirement is a link-level
protocol that allows both sides to collaboratively create and recognize
these outputs.

> Or is my above restatement different from what you are talking about?

You're missing the CLTV timeout clause. It isn't a plain p2wkh, it's a p2wsh
script. Either they splice this in before the timeout, or it times out and
it goes back to one party. In this case, it's no different than the async
concurrent commitment splice in double spend case.

-- Laolu