Good morning Christian,

I am nowhere near a mathematician, thus, cannot countercheck your expertise
here (and cannot give a counterproposal thusly).

But I want to point out the below scenarios:

1.  C is the payer.  He is in contact with an unknown payee (who in reality is
E).  E provides the onion-wrapped route D->E with ephemeral key and other data
necessary, as well as informing C that D is the rendez-vous point.  Then C
creates a route from itself to D (via channel C->D or via C->A->D).

2.  B is the payer.  He knows the entire route B->C->D->E and knows that payee
is C.  Unfortunately the C<->D channel is low capacity or down or etc etc.  At
C, B has provided the onion-wrapped route D->E with ephemeral key and other
data necessary, as well as informing to C that D is the next node.  Then C
either pays via C->D or via C->A->D.

Even if there is an off-by-one error in our thinking about rendez-vous nodes,
could it not be compensated also by an off-by-one in the link-level payment
splitting via intermediary rendez-vous node?
In short, D is the one that switches keys instead of A.

The operation of processing a hop would be:

1.  Unwrap the onion with current ephemeral key.
2.  Dispatch based on realm byte.
2.1.  If realm byte 0:
2.1.1.  Normal routing behavior, extract HMAC, etc etc
2.2.  If realm byte 2 "switch ephemeral keys":
2.2.1.  Set current ephemeral key to bytes 1 -> 32 of packet.
2.2.2.  Shift onion by one hop packet.
2.2.3.  Goto 1.

Would that not work?
(I am being naive here, as I am not a mathist and I did not understand half
what you wrote, sorry)

Then at C, we have the onion from D->E, we also know the next ephemeral key to
use (we can derive it since we would pass it to D anyway).
It rightshifts the onion by one, storing the next ephemeral key to the new hop
it just allocated.
Then it encrypts the onion using a new ephemeral key that it will use to
generate the D<-A<-C part of the onion.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.