Joost Jager <joost.ja...@gmail.com> writes:
> This hold fee could be: lock_time * (fee_base + fee_rate * htlc_value).
> fee_base is in there to compensate for the usage of an htlc slot, which is
> a scarce resource too.

> In both cases the sender needs to trust its peer to not steal the payment
> and/or artificially delay the forwarding to inflate the hold fee. I think
> that is acceptable given that there is a trust relation between peers
> already anyway.
>
> A crucial thing is that these hold fees don't need to be symmetric. A new
> node for example that opens a channel to a well-known, established routing
> node will be forced to pay a hold fee, but won't see any traffic coming in
> anymore if it announces a hold fee itself. Nodes will need to build a
> reputation before they're able to command hold fees. Similarly, routing
> nodes that have a strong relation may decide to not charge hold fees to
> each other at all.

I can still establish channels to various low-reputation nodes, and then
use them to grief a high-reputation node.  Not only do I get to jam up
the high-reputation channels, as a bonus I get the low-reputation nodes
to pay for it!

Operators of high reputation nodes can even make this profitable; doubly
so, since they eliminate the chance of any of those low-reputation nodes
every getting to be high reputation (and thus competing).

AFAICT any scheme which penalizes the direct peer creates a bias against
forwarding unknown payments, thus is deanonymizing.

> I'd also like to encourage everyone to prioritize this spam/jam issue and
> dedicate more time to solving it. Obviously there is a lot more to do in
> Lightning, but I am not sure if we can afford to wait for the real
> adversaries to show up on this one.

Agreed.  It's a classic "it's not actually on fire *right now*" problem,
so it does keep getting pushed back.

Cheers,
Rusty.