Hi Jeremy,

I brought up the exact same thing at coredev, but unfortunately I came up
with a way in which the 0 sat output could still enter the UTXO set under
those rules:

- Parent P1 (0 sat per byte) has 2 outputs, one is 0 sat
- Child C1 spends the 0 sat output for a combined feerate of 1 sat per byte
and they enter the mempool as a package
- Child C2 spends the other output of P1 with a really high feerate and
enters the mempool
- Fees rise and child C1 falls out of the mempool, leaving the 0 sat output
unspent

For this to not be a problem, the 0 sat output needs to provably be the
only spendable output. As you pointed out to me a few days ago, having a
relative timelock on the other outputs would do the trick (and this happens
to be true for spacechains), but that will only be provable if all script
conditions are visible prior to spending time (ruling out p2sh and taproot,
and conflicting with standardness rules for transactions).

It's worth noting out that you can't really make a policy rule that says
the 0 sat output can't be left unspent (i.e. C1 can't be evicted without
also evicting P1), as this would not mirror economically rational behavior
for miners (they would get more fees if they evicted C1, so we must assume
they will, if the transaction ever reaches them).

This last example really points out the tricky situation we're dealing
with. In my opinion, we'd only want to relay 0 sat outputs if we can
guarantee that it's never economically profitable to mine them without them
getting spent in the same block.

Finally, here's a timestamped link to a diagram that shows where 0 sat
outputs would be helpful for spacechains (otherwise someone would have to
pay the dust up front for countless outputs):
https://youtu.be/N2ow4Q34Jeg?t=2556

Cheers,
Ruben