Hi thread,

I was indeed mistaken. It does require four rounds for both parties to
fully transition to the next comimit tx and I don't think there is any easy
way around this. As you've pointed out there it's still only three rounds
before the message is forwarded so no performance decrease for forwarding.

I wanted to add a theoretical note that you might be aware of. The final
message "Bob -> Alice: revoke_and_ack" is not strictly necessary. Alice
does not care about Bob revoking a commit tx that gives her strictly more
coins. Bob's new commit tx can use the same revocation key as the previous
one i.e. only the offerer of the PTLC/HTLC does a revocation and increments
their revocation key. Not sending messages you don't need to is usually
both more performant and simpler but given that it introduces some
asymmetry so I'm not sure if it's worth it. It's also worth noting that
with fast forwards + symmetric commit tx you will need to do the full four
rounds always I think.

Cheers,

LL