On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 5:11 PM Stefan Richter <rich...@cs.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:

> I also don't believe putting a choice of more or less seconds expectation
> in the UI makes for a great user experience. IMHO the goal should just be:
> give the user an estimate of fees necessary to succeed within a reasonable
> time. Maybe give them an option to optimize for fees only if they are
> really cheap and don't care at all if the payment succeeds.

In the ideal world, I'd agree to this. But how close to that are we today?
Suppose we'd define reasonable time as 3 seconds to complete the payment.
And to stay below that, we need to use a short, expensive, high success
probability route that amounts to a fee of 1%. Would users be happy with a
take it or leave it approach or rather pay 0.1% and wait 30 seconds?

I think that for the state of Lightning as it is currently, some kind of
control lever is useful to bridge the gap to payments that are always fast
and cheap. The checkbox that you propose is also a control lever, but it is
pretty minimalistic.

Joost