Hi Matt,

> Ultimately, paying suffers from the standard PoW-for-spam issue - you
> cannot assign a reasonable cost that an attacker cares about without
> impacting the system's usability due to said cost.

Applying this statement to related a area, would you also agree that
proposals
to introduce pre-payments for HTLCs to mitigate jamming attacks is similarly
a dead end?  Personally, this has been my opinion for some time now. Which
is why I advocate for the forwarding pass approach (gracefully degrade to
stratified topology), which in theory would allow the major flows of the
network to continue in the face of disruption.

-- Laolu