Hi Val,

Happy to see ppl continue to work on the problem space after discussions and
brainstorming we had at the past LN Summit in Oakland.

> The open research question relates to how the sender will get an invoice
> from the receiver, given that they are offline at sending-time

One existing protocol extension that solves this is AMP [1][2]. The AMP
invoice is fully reusable (tho it can expire), and can be posted anywhere on
the internet, enabling a sender to at least _attempt_ the payment without
the receiver being online. As the sender is the one that generates the
pre-image, it's easy to prevent payment hash re-use (generate a new root
hash, just like you do a shared secret when making an onion). The LSP (or
anyone else) can't steal the funds, as the pre-image shares are in the final
hop of the onion payload, which can only be decrypted by the receiver.

Each payment can use the payment_addr/payment_secret field in the
invoice, but then also generate a new set_id for each logical payment. The
set_id is included in the final hop payload, which lets the receiver
aggregate the HTLCs until they can finally settle it after recovering the
root payment pre-image.

Invoice negotiation protocols such as BOLT 12, LN-URL, and Lightning Address
can also be used to fetch a self-contained AMP invoice.

Here's a testnet AMP invoice that can be paid w/ any amt:
```
lntb1p3murampp56m9m254s7xduktrm7g6j5r7qrpw9kvzc2tpqul7eskhyqfh95lnqdqqcqzpgxq9z0rgqsp5eyam7wajd3mmwk9qmfthzk3t96s0rklv05tc49ak68p8wvks0cmq9q8pqqqssq3jvnkdqn289fd7l3w2weqps89p9zaan4xlqenj3tmclwwkjgudrzn9jvvmkzgemehrdc7dlg4z7sxu0hmeul55keewqk0kdulc6058qpu644f8
```

> such that senders have proof-of-payment? This may ideally be built on top
> of PTLCs

I can't find the original slides (the old LN Conf URL seems to just redirect
to the Fulmo website now), but back in the day, Conner gave a talk about an
AMP extension he called "invoice tunneling". The idea is that you force the
receiver to reveal a unique secret bound to the invoice or payment attempt.
Rather than having the set_id be a 32-byte value, it would instead be a
point and mixed in along all the transmitted partial HTLC shares. In order
to settle the HTLC, both the secret of the point in the original invoice, as
well as the sender provided root payment pre-image would be required.

As usual though, I'm pretty dubious of any sort of "proof of payment"
schemes. Particularly given that virtual no wallets today (UI-wise) give you
direct access to a pre-image, there's no standard that has emerged yet
(seemingly due to a lack of an actual need) to encode such information, and
also most schemes would let any 3rd party that learned the pre-image (an
intermediate node) to claim that they sent the payment (w/o any other
asymmetric crypto).

Circling back to the discussion in Oakland, one of my key takeaways was
that: Trampoline payments are a critical part of any sort of async payment
scheme. Otherwise, you'll require the sender to be online in a synchronous
manner as _they're_ the ones that need to retry the payment continually.

With Trampoline payments, the sender's "LSP" can retry the payment at will
w/o needing to fetch a fresh onion each time. With that the entire flow can
be async:

  1. user tries initial payment
  2. LSP gets it, can delay the initial try to "phone home" to the receiver
  3. HTLC eventually gets the penultimate (second to last hop before the
  receiver)
  4. Receiver comes online eventually to reveal pre-image
  5. pre-image propagates backwards thru the route
  6. sender eventually comes back online again to acknowledge receipt

With the way LN works, once step 4 is reached, then the payment has
effectively been completed from the PoV of the receiver (UI can update,
etc). With AMP usage, the receiver also doesn't need to be online for the
sender to even _attempt_ to make a payment.

-- Laolu

[1]: https://github.com/lightning/bolts/pull/658
[2]: https://docs.lightning.engineering/lightning-network-tools/lnd/amp