Currently, LN primarily uses 2 of 2 multisig channel, though I have heard
people talk about opening channels in more complex transactions than 2 of 2
multisigs.

Thinking through all the topology and number theory aspects of it, I think that
if channels were mostly between 3 nodes instead of 2, there could be some big
advantages:

- Channels can advertise which node has the lowest balance, helping with
balance of channels, and overall liquidity. There would need to be vague enough
thresholds to define when to even bother mentioning this, I imagine something
like under 10% remaining on one versus the other two would be sufficiently
anonymous.

- A node with 3 channels attached to it can be considered as completely
connected, and can basically route to 10 different next hops for only 3 opening
transaction fees.

- The time cost is basically doubled - two nodes for a channel means request
and two messages between the peers to propagate their PSBT channel state, 3
nodes to a channel means 1 request and 6 messages to settle a new payment,
which each node in the trio can more or less dispatch two messages at the same
time, so, 3 message cycles, or average around 600ms from anywhere to anywhere
on the internet.

- The channel's lowest balance could be one-bit boolean value publicly
broadcast, meaning that peers selecting hops for a payment route can easily
avoid adding to a channel stuck on one side. Pathfinding is a real hassle in
the current design of LN. It is hard to navigate in the dark, but if you can
sense the distance to the nearest object you can orient easily.

The magic of tesselation gave us lightning fast 3d raster based 3d modeling,
and is based on the infinite tesselation of triangles. Oh, there is 4 points
possible, but it really just complicates things. I'm pretty sure that the new
Unreal 5 "nanite" engine only works with uniform 3 point surfaces, at least, it
definitely looks like that based on the 4 color map versions that show the
polygons. And anyhow, a "rectangle" is just two adjacent triangles, why bother
with this extra, extraneous nonsense of calling two polygons with a common axis
"squares".

The only other issue that is on my mind lately relating to LN is 0 conf
channels. I hadn't thought of "channels" as being 2 dimensional, since they
represent a midpoint between two other points. But a midpoint is an abstract
term, not just a word used for 1D lines but also 2D and nD shapes.

It seems to me like there could be a negotiation protocol to pre-arrange a not
yet mined opening tx for a 3 way lightning channel, that could effectively lock
in every party such that it can't wriggle out of the commitment. This just
wouldn't be possible with a 2 way. It then wouldn't matter a bit how big the
fee was since the parties are already in consensus and have the ability to back
out at any moment.

~ l0k1