Hi List,

I am creating an app to manage your Bitcoin Lightning Node, but I am struggling
to find a good solution to connect to the plethora of back ends that are
available now. Especially via web, where I am encountering CORS errors, which
would require the user to specifically configure their node to use the app,
creating a not so great user experience.

Nodes may also be behind various firewalls, making them notoriously difficult
to connect to remotely. Lightning Labs has made their solution called Lightning
Node Connect, which uses a secure proxy WebSocket to talk to the node. But I
fear Lightning Node Connect is far too tailored for use with LND, and gRPC.
Also, I found myself having a hard time grasping the numerous different
protocols, and handshakes it uses, as I needed to write an implementation in a
language that it is not already available. Thus, the idea of getting other node
back ends, like CLN, and Eclair to implement it, is a tough ask.

What if there was a BLIP that described a JSON RPC interface over a WebSocket,
that node back ends can implement allowing any front end to be able to be used
with any back end. It would include all basic features of lightning, like
opening a channel, closing a channel, sending a payment, etc. Technically, even
custodial solutions like Wallet of Satoshi, could implement this interface.
This allows the freedom to use any interface you desire, similar to how you can
use any email client, with any email server.

Additionally, it would be great to have also a proxy version of the JSON RPC
interface, allowing two sides to connect and subscribe to each other, and the
proxy server pass encrypted messages it cant read along to the other side,
allowing you to use your node behind complicated firewalls, like Tor.

List, what do you think of something like this?
Thanks, Michael.