Hi Thomas,

> That's a pity. I would have expected you to be interested, given that
> Phoenix could benefit from that feature.

I don't think this is an attack wallet providers can reasonably attempt.
The mobile wallet can check at every connection that the provider isn't
trying to cheat, and the provider doesn't have any way of knowing when
the mobile wallet has lost data: it would thus be a very risky move to
try to cheat, because it is very unlikely to succeed and will result in
reputation loss for the provider.

So for this specific backup use case, I think it would simply be adding
complexity to solve an issue that doesn't matter in practice.

> How are the fraud proofs I described more dangerous than revoked states?
> There is no "toxic data" in here.

I didn't say they were more dangerous than revoked states?
What I meant is that signing those "commitments" by the wallet provider
is dangerous for their reputation if that service is only best-effort,
because there are race conditions in the lightning protocol for which
the wallet provider may not have the mobile wallet's latest state (it
is not entirely trivial to keep track of that state).

> Perhaps that PR could benefit from my idea of sending backup data as new
> fields of existing messages? I see that update_channel_backup needs to be
> sent *before* the corresponding change of state. I think using the
existing
> messages would be more elegant, because it makes things atomic.

That was the main thing discussed in that PR. See [1] for the end of
that discussion (the earlier comments contain a lot of details on that
design choice). Sending data in existing messages has a length issue,
because `commitment_signed` for example may already fill up the message
which doesn't leave any room for an additional backup.

Cheers,
Bastien

[1] https://github.com/lightning/bolts/pull/881#issuecomment-1132698926