Hi John,

Thanks for the additional insightful comments. See new questions at the end.

> "My main point is that there's a huge pool of potential users that just
want payments to work, and they don't want to devote time or hardware
resources to making them work (if they can away with that)"

Sure, though somehow a "sovereign" casual user will still have to store
signatures and corresponding witnesses for off-chain balances at some
hardware somewhere, or delegate to another set of entities the storage or
on-chain broadcast (e.g watchtower). And then you start to have
interpedency with the timelocks of your off-chain construction and the
"bare minimum" witness space feerate average cost. All efficiency
considerations, ideally which can be laid out to reason on the trade-off of
off-chain constructions.

> "I also think resizing channels can be done fairly effectively off-chain
with hierarchical channels [1] (and even better with hierarchical channels
within timeout-trees)".

Yes, transactional scaling of Lightning (i.e how many transfers can be
performed off-chain per on-chain transaction) sounds good at first sight,
though in practice liquidity unbalance due to asymmetries in liquidity
flows among counterparties is a bottleneck. Note, how the on-chain
splicing for LSP spec upgrade improves on this dimension and where
"resizing" or "pool rebalancing" aims to keep this off-chain.

> "I just don't believe that is possible in practice, due to the need to
get a million casual users to sign a transaction where the transaction
specifies the casual users that need to sign it".

Well, this is not straightforward to pre-commit a subset of casual or
inactive users that need to sign (or do not need to sign). It sounds
achievable with current tree tricks like g'root or entroot for user groups
between 10-to-1000 (maybe more a full proposal would be needed to
estimate). Of course for orders of magnitude in the million, a more
efficient cryptographic accumulator than a Merkle tree would need to be
introduced at the consensus-level.

> "With these proposals, it's possible to dramatically limit the
interactivity".

Yes, from my rough understanding of timeout-trees and channel resizing, it
sounds to suffer from the same issue as Jeremy radix-tree's proposal or
Christian OG channel factory, namely the lack of fault-tolerance when one
of the casual user or end of tree balance owner aims to go on-chain. The
fragmentation cost sounds to be borne by all the users located in the tree
branch. Note fault-tolerance is one of the key payment pool design goals to
advance over factories.

> "I propose that if the active drain fails, the casual user should put
their channel in the old timeout-tree on-chain (so that it won't timeout on
them). "

I think there is still some issue there where you need to handle the
malicious HTLC-withholding case along your multi-hop payment paths and wait
for the expiration. Then go on-chain to expire the old timeout-tree, which
might come with a high timevalue cost by default. Not saying keeping
timevalue cost low is solved for today's Lightning.

> "I agree this isn't ideal, but I think it's much better than having them
have to perform some action at a specific time or within a very limited
time window (such as a day or a week)".

Yes, I think all the other off-chain constructions are encumbering the
casual users to perform some action within a very limited time window, and
as such requires strong liveliness (e.g to watch your counterparty
potential revoked commitment construction). This sounds to me a novel
aspect of TP-channel factories of allowing the casual user to decide when
they have to be on-time.

> "Getting fees right could be particularly challenging due to the
"thundering herd" problem, as _aj_ pointed out".

Yes, the thundering herd issue is explicitly mentioned in the OG Lightning
paper. To the best of my knowledge this is a distinct problem other than
exploitable asymmetries in local node policies and propagation, that it
cannot be fixed by transaction-relay changes.

> "These costs could be large, but hopefully they're rare as they are
failures by dedicated users that can afford to have highly-available
hardware and who want to maintain a good reputation".

Yes, though note as soon as a dedicated user starts to have a lot of
off-chain tree in the hand, and this is observable by adversaries the
dedicated user becomes an attack target (e.g for channel jamming or
time-dilation) which substantially alter the trade-offs.

> "However, the paper has a proposal for the use of "short-cut"
transactions that may be able to eliminate this logarithmic blow-up".

Yes "cut-through" to reduce on-chain footprint in mass exit cases has been
discussed since the early days of off-chain constructions and Taproot /
Grafroot introduction to the best of my knowledge, see:
https://tokyo2018.scalingbitcoin.org/transcript/tokyo2018/multi-party-channels-in-the-utxo-model-challenges-and-opportunities

Few questions from reading Dave's description of TP protocol here:
https://bitcoinops.org/en/newsletters/2023/03/29/#preventing-stranded-capital-with-multiparty-channels-and-channel-factories
.

In the scenario of multiple parties (e.g Alice, Bob, Caroll) owning a state
transaction + control output, what prevents Caroll to double-spend Bob's
revoked state transaction to a destination controlled by her in collusion
with Bob, at the harm of Alice ?

In the scenario of multiple commitment transactions spending the same state
transaction of an offliner user, what prevents Caroll to fake offliness and
equivocate at the harm of Alice or another party ?

Still building my understanding of the TP protocol security model and
seeing where it converges / diverges w.r.t other off-chain constructions
trade-offs.

Best,
Antoine