On 10/20/23 8:15 PM, Peter Todd wrote:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 05:05:48PM -0400, Matt Corallo wrote:
Sadly this only is really viable for pre-anchor channels. With anchor
channels the attack can be performed by either side of the closure, as the
HTLCs are now, at max, only signed SIGHASH_SINGLE|ANYONECANPAY, allowing you
to add more inputs and perform this attack even as the broadcaster.

I don't think its really viable to walk that change back to fix this, as it
also fixed plenty of other issues with channel usability and important
edge-cases.

What are anchor outputs used for other than increasing fees?

Because if we've pre-signed the full fee range, there is simply no need for
anchor outputs. Under any circumstance we can broadcast a transaction with a
sufficiently high fee to get mined.

Indeed, that is what anchor outputs are for. Removing the pre-set feerate solved a number of issues with edge-cases and helped address the fee-inflation attack. Now, just using pre-signed transactions doesn't have to re-introduce those issues - as long as the broadcaster gets to pick which of the possible transactions they broadcast its just another transaction of theirs.

Still, I'm generally really dubious of the multiple pre-signed transaction thing, (a) it would mean more fee overhead (not the end of the world for a force-closure, but it sucks to have all these individual transactions rolling around and be unable to batch), but more importantly (b) its a bunch of overhead to keep track of a ton of variants across a sufficiently granular set of feerates for it to not result in substantially overspending on fees.

Like I mentioned in the previous mail, this is really a policy bug - we're talking about a transaction pattern that might well happen where miners aren't getting the optimal value in transaction fees (potentially by a good bit). This needs to be fixed at the policy/Bitcoin Core layer, not in the lightning world (as much as its pretty resource-intensive to fix in the policy domain, I think).

Matt