Hi Zeeman,

> Neither can Bob replace-recycle out the commitment transaction itself,
because the commitment transaction is a single-input transaction, whose
sole input requires a signature from
> Bob and a signature from Carol --- obviously Carol will not cooperate on
an attack on herself.

The replacement cycling happens on the commitment transaction spend itself,
not the second stage, which is effectively locked until block 100.

If the commitment transaction is pre-signed with 0 sat / vb and all the
feerate / absolute fee is provided by a CPFP on one of the anchor outputs,
Bob can replace the CPFP itself. After replacement of its child, the
commitment transaction has a package feerate of 0 sat / vb and it will be
trimmed out of the mempool.

This is actually the scenario tested here on the nversion = 3 new mempool
policy branch  (non-deployed yet):
https://github.com/ariard/bitcoin/commits/2023-10-test-mempool-2

As of today commitment transactions might not propagate if dynamic mempool
min fee is above pre-signed commitment transaction, which is itself unsafe.
I think this behavior can currently be opportunistically exploited by
attackers.

In a post-package relay world, I think this is possible. And that
replacement cycling attacks are breaking future dynamic fee-bumping of
pre-signed transactions concerns me a lot.

Best,
Antoine