Hi Johan,

> Is this a concern though, if we assume there's no revoked state that
> can be broadcast (Eltoo)? Could you share an example of how this would
> be played out by an attacker?

Sure, let's assume no revoked state can be broadcast (Eltoo).

My understanding of the new covenant mechanism is the aggregation or
collapsing of all HTLC outputs in one or at least 2 outputs (offered /
received).
Any spend of an aggregated HTLC "payout" should satisfy the script
locking condition by presenting a preimage and a signature.
An offerd aggregated HTLC output might collapse a M number of HTLC
"payout", where M is still limited by the max standard transaction
relay, among other things.

The offered-to counterparty can claim any subset N of the aggregation
M by presenting the list of signatures and preimages (How they're
feeded to the spent script is a covenant implementation detail).
However, there is no guarantee that the offered-to counterparty reveal
"all" the preimages she is awarded off. Non-spent HTLC outputs are
clawback to a remainder subset of M, M'.

I think this partial reveal of HTLC payout preimages still opens the
door to replacement cycling attacks.

Let's say you have 5 offered HTLC "payouts" between Alice and Bob
aggregated in a single output, 4 of value 0.1 BTC and 1 of value 1
BTC. All expire at timelock T.
At T, Alice broadcasts an aggregated HTLC-timeout spend for the 5 HTLC
with 0.0.1 BTC on-chain fee.

Bob can craft a HTLC-preimage spend of the single offered output
spending one of 0.1 BTC HTLC payout (and revealing its preimage) while
burning all the value as fee. This replaces out Alice's honest
HTLC-timeout out of network mempools, are they're concurrent spend.
Bob can repeat this trick as long as there is HTLC "payout" remaining
in the offered set, until he's being able to do a HTLC off-chain
double-spend of the 1 BTC HTLC "payout".

This stealing gain of the 1 BTC HTLC "payout" covers what has been
burned as miners fees to replace cycle out Alice's sequence of honest
HTLC-timeout.

And it should be noted that Bob might benefit from network mempools
congestion delaying the confirmation of his malicious low-value
high-fee HTLC-preimage transactions.

> I'm not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?

See
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2023-December/022191.html
and my answer there.
I think "self-sustained" fees is one only part of the solution, the
other part being the sliding delay of the HTLC timelock based on block
feerate.
Otherwise, a replacement cycling attacker can always benefit from
network mempools congestion spontaneously pushing out a malicious
cycling transaction out of block templates.

> That sounds possible, but how would you deal with the exponential
> blowup in the number of combinations?

In a taproot-world, "swallow the bullet" in terms of witness size
growth in case of non-cooperative closure.
I think this is where introducing an accumulator at the Script level
to efficiently test partial set membership would make sense.
Note, exponential blowup is an issue for mass non-coordinated
withdrawals of a payment pool too.

Best,
Antoine