Hi John!

I have two questions regarding the window, which are related.

1. Why is the window aligned? IIUC, this means that the blocks mined
since the latest block whose height is divisible by window_size do not
affect transaction's validity. So a recent change of fees does not
reflect if a transaction can be confirmed.

2. Does it make sense to have a global window_size? This would save
space in FDT (= in transaction) and simplify verification, especially
for a non-aligned window case (see 1). An array of integers of size
window_size would be sufficient to give answer to a question if there
were at least x blocks among window_size latest blocks with median fee
rate <= y, using O(1) time per query.

Moving on to another topic, what are the implications for light
clients? A light client can validate current timelocks without
downloading whole blocks, because they depend on timestamps and block
height only, the information from block headers. To validate a
transaction with FDT or to choose FDT parameters for its own
transaction, a light client would have to determine the median fee
rate of the recent blocks. To do that without involving trust, it has
to download the blocks. What do you think about including median
feerate as a required OP_RETURN output in coinbase transaction? A
block without it would be invalid (new consensus rule). A light client
can rely on median feerate value from coinbase transaction,
downloading only one tx instead of the whole block.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 6:20 AM jlspc via bitcoin-dev
<bitcoin-...@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> TL;DR
> =====
> * All known Lightning channel and factory protocols are susceptible to forced
> expiration spam attacks, in which an attacker floods the blockchain with
> transactions in order to prevent honest users from putting their transactions
> onchain before timelocks expire.
> * Feerate-Dependent Timelocks (FDTs) are timelocks that automatically extend
> when blockchain feerates spike.
>   - In the normal case, there's no spike in feerates and thus no tradeoff
> between capital efficiency and safety.
>   - If a dishonest user attempts a forced expiration spam attack, feerates
> increase and FDTs are extended, thus penalizing the attacker by keeping their
> capital timelocked for longer.
>   - FDTs are tunable and can be made to be highly resistant to attacks from
> dishonest miners.
> * Of separate interest, an exact analysis of the risk of double spend attacks
> is presented that corrects an error in the original Bitcoin whitepaper.
>
> Overview
> ========
>
> Because the Lightning protocol relies on timelocks to establish the correct
> channel state, Lightning users could lose their funds if they're unable to
> put their transactions onchain quickly enough.
> The original Lightning paper [1] states that "[f]orced expiration of many
> transactions may be the greatest systemic risk when using the Lightning
> Network" and it uses the term "forced expiration spam" for an attack in which
> a malicious party "creates many channels and forces them all to expire at
> once", thus allowing timelocked transactions to become valid.
> That paper also says that the creation of a credible threat against "spamming
> the blockchain to encourage transactions to timeout" is "imperative" [1].
>
> Channel factories that create multiple Lightning channels with a single
> onchain transaction [2][3][4][5] increase this risk in two ways.
> First, factories allow more channels to be created, thus increasing the
> potential for many channels to require onchain transactions at the same time.
> Second, channel factories themselves use timelocks, and thus are vulnerable
> to a "forced expiration spam" attack.
>
> In fact, the timelocks in Lightning channels and factories are risky even
> without an attack from a malicious party.
> Blockchain congestion is highly variable and new applications (such as
> ordinals) can cause a sudden spike in congestion at any time.
> As a result, timelocks that were set when congestion was low can be too short
> when congestion spikes.
> Even worse, a spike in congestion could be self-reinforcing if it causes
> malicious parties to attack opportunistically and honest parties to put their
> channels onchain due to the heightened risk.
>
> One way to reduce the risk of a forced expiration spam attack is to use
> longer timelocks that give honest users more time to put their transactions
> [...]

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev