Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
On Monday March 29 2004 04:00, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

You can do this with \markup today, see the mailing list
archives, for example
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-12/msg00013.html

It isn't so much of wether or not I can, but rather that I have to if I want to place it right. I usually just use \tempo because it already goes where it should, is small enough to generally not cause collision problems for me, and I still have not been able to figure out what property the padding applies to (I know, it's waiting for me in the e-mail archives).
In any case, tempo expressions are, in my experiences, very common; I can't seem to recall the manual explaining the right way to fully typeset these. Examples of some control are scattered about the manual, but most musicians I know would be completely clueless about what professionals do.

Agreed!

The important thing right now is that LilyPond does have a way that I can make things look right (or however I desire) so thank you again.
Since you are always so helpful Mats, do you have suggested readings to try to help me straighten out my sense of the various object types; I seem to mix them up horribly anymore. =(

Han-Wen and Jan have recently rewritten the section "Changing defaults" in the manual and are eagerly waiting for positive and negative feedback.

/Mats